Are You Looking for a Veterinarian to Spay or Neuter Your Pet?
Unleashed Pet Care serves the community of Westland, MI with quality veterinary services, including pet exams, spay and neuter surgeries, preventative care like vaccinations and treatment for heart-worm, and more. If you have been considering getting your pet “fixed” here are a few common questions about the procedure.
Spay and Neuter Frequently Asked Questions:
- What does spay and neuter mean? The terms refer to the surgical removal of an animal's ability to reproduce. For females the term used is “spay” and the procedure is generally the removal of the fallopian tubes, ovary, and uterus. For males it referred to as “neutering” and the testicles are removed.
- Will the procedure change my pet's personality? No. After the effects of anesthesia wear off, you will find that your pet is just as playful and loving as before. In male pets, you will likely find that they wander off less, which is a safety benefit and good change for most.
- What age should a pet be spayed or neutered? While pets can technically be spayed or neutered as young as 3 months of age, most veterinarians like to wait for six months before scheduling the procedure. Discuss the exact age with your pet’s vet to find out the best time for your particular breed and type of pet.
- How soon after having a litter can a pet be spayed? Most recommendations are to wait until the mom is done nursing her litter, and her milk is dried up. If there is extreme risk of impregnation before this, be sure to discuss it with your veterinarian.
- Why bother with spaying or neutering? There are many reasons to get your pet spayed or neutered. A few include reduced chance of certain cancers, longer healthy years, reduced risk of death from wandering away, and reduced unwanted animal populations.
- Should my pet have one litter before they are sterilized? This is a personal decision, but keep in mind that there are many, many shelter pets who need homes and as long as you are your pets loving family they do not feel a need to reproduce for a complete life. They will not know they are missing out on anything, and their lives will be longer and healthier.
Contact Us if You Have Any Other Questions, or to Schedule an Appointment
Unleashed Pet Care is happy to answer any questions you have about our spay and neuter services. We treat the pets in and around Westland, MI with premium veterinary services. If you need a veterinarian who cares, call today to schedule your pet exam at (734) 469-2800.